When I started doing these dreads updates, I really meant to do them once a month. Meanwhile, three months have gone by since the last one and I can't believe how different my dreads look than they did for my two-month update.
They've been knotting up, feeling like dreads, but also doing this weird thing where part of the dreads are tightening up faster than the rest and it makes them have big loops in them. Several have zigzags, with multiple loops next to each other. So the dreads on the right side of my head are all quite a lot shorter now because of this looping and zigzagging. But there are about five on the left side of my head that haven't done that yet, so I have lopsided hair. It looks strange to me.
Here are some photos from the past few months so you can see the changes...
What's funny to me now, looking back at these early loopy photos is how non-loopy they really were, compared to how my dreads look currently!
Definitely getting some more of the crazy looping action going on here, later in May...
It's true, the loopy, zigzaggy-ness of my dreads was really kicking in during June.
And the next group of photos are from our vacation, when I didn't think to take update photos. The only ones I seem to have are with other people. :) During our vacation, I noticed the dreads on the right side of my head really tightening up, and the ones on the left, especially the underneath ones on the back of my head, weren't doing much of anything. I started having super lopsided looking hair. Ugh.
You can really see the lopsidedness of my dreads in the photo with Serenity. Left side, still looking kind of long, right side is about shoulder length.
The photo with Joshua shows a good view of the shortened dreads on the right side. Very clumpy near the ends.
That pic of the back of my hair shows how there are about 4-5 dreads on the left side that are longer because they haven't looped up on themselves the way the rest of my dreads have done.
And here are some back at home photos, showing the clumps a little more clearly.
That last photo really shows what the dreads are looking like these days. The truth is that I've learned a lot about dreads (obviously) in the five months since I started them. I learned from experience that although twist 'n rip might be safer on your hair than crocheting as a way to start dreads, it is horrible in terms of looping and shrinkage (at least it has been for me). I think if I were to do it all over again, that I would use backcombing as my method of starting my dreads. I've read that backcombed dreads aren't as bad with looping and zigzagging as twist 'n rip ones are.
But would I comb them all out to start over after five months or to get rid of them? No. I've spent a lot of thinking about these crazy, messy things, and I really do like them. They don't look at all like what I'd imagined and hoped for, but I think they're pretty cool anyway. It's such a stretch for me to have such messy hair when I tend toward perfectionism, and in a lot of ways, I think it's been good for me.
I'm really going to try to do another update much sooner than in three months. Bye for now!
They've been knotting up, feeling like dreads, but also doing this weird thing where part of the dreads are tightening up faster than the rest and it makes them have big loops in them. Several have zigzags, with multiple loops next to each other. So the dreads on the right side of my head are all quite a lot shorter now because of this looping and zigzagging. But there are about five on the left side of my head that haven't done that yet, so I have lopsided hair. It looks strange to me.
Here are some photos from the past few months so you can see the changes...
![]() |
| 9 weeks, May 3 |
![]() |
| 9 weeks, May 3 |
![]() |
| 10 weeks, May 8 |
![]() |
| 10 weeks, May 8 |
![]() |
| 11 weeks, May 14 |
![]() |
| 12 weeks, May 21 |
![]() |
| 13 weeks, May 28 |
![]() |
| 13 weeks, May 28 |
![]() |
| This is how I feel about my dreads sometimes! 14 weeks, June 4 |
![]() |
| 15 weeks, June 11 |
![]() |
| 15 weeks, June 11 |
And the next group of photos are from our vacation, when I didn't think to take update photos. The only ones I seem to have are with other people. :) During our vacation, I noticed the dreads on the right side of my head really tightening up, and the ones on the left, especially the underneath ones on the back of my head, weren't doing much of anything. I started having super lopsided looking hair. Ugh.
![]() |
| 17 1/2 weeks, June 27, with our son David |
![]() |
| 18 weeks, July 3, with my husband :) |
![]() |
| 18 weeks, July 4, with my friend Serenity |
![]() |
| 19 weeks, July 11, with David again |
![]() |
| 19 weeks, July 12, with our son Joshua |
![]() |
| 20 weeks, July 14 |
And here are some back at home photos, showing the clumps a little more clearly.
![]() |
| 21 weeks, July 21 |
![]() |
| 21 weeks, July 21 |
![]() |
| 21 weeks, July 21 |
![]() |
| 22 weeks, July 30 |
But would I comb them all out to start over after five months or to get rid of them? No. I've spent a lot of thinking about these crazy, messy things, and I really do like them. They don't look at all like what I'd imagined and hoped for, but I think they're pretty cool anyway. It's such a stretch for me to have such messy hair when I tend toward perfectionism, and in a lot of ways, I think it's been good for me.
I'm really going to try to do another update much sooner than in three months. Bye for now!

























No comments:
Post a Comment