4.27.2012

a goal.

Please tell me I'm not the only one out there who has a problem with procrastinating.  

Okay, so I have this project I'm hoping to get done this weekend.  This project is the culmination of so many layers of procrastination, it's not even funny.  It all starts back in... oh, about 1999, I think.  We had moved back into our Marquette house the year before, after being gone for about 4 years. 

The room (and windows) that will be the recipient of my project, once it's done. :)


So after living in the house for a year, we decided it was time to upgrade the curtains that my sister-in-law had made in the early 80s.  We special ordered a beautiful off-white damask fabric during a sale at JoAnn's.  I did indeed sew one (huge, I might add) curtain, but got overwhelmed (primarily by the pleats at the top) and stopped there. 

Our living room, up in Marquette... still no curtains on the windows!

Fast forward to more than a decade later, after living in Arizona for four years.  The windows in the living room up there *still* are without curtains.  But we actually like it that way, because the great Lake Superior views would be blocked by curtains.  (...or so I tell myself, trying not to feel guilty that I never sewed those curtains...)

Okay, a little more of the story, on the Arizona end of things... two years ago, we bought some beautiful curtain rods for our bedroom windows.  The plan was that I would sew some heavier curtains for better privacy and light blocking qualities (the cheap ones I picked up on Craig's List when we bought the house are pretty thin).

About the same time, a man in our neighborhood sold us, for a great deal, enough 2" faux wood blinds for our whole house.  (His house & ours have the same size and number of windows, having been built by the same builder.)  We installed most of the blinds, but the drywall finishers didn't get the window openings *exactly* the same size, so some of the blinds are a touch too big to fit.  Two years later, we still haven't gotten the blinds trimmed & up in the remaining windows.

Back to Marquette... so we were up there last fall and I was eyeing up that special-ordered damask fabric, tucked away in the storage room.  I pulled it all off the roll, got a wheeled carry-on suitcase at Goodwill and brought it back to Arizona so I could use it for our bedroom curtains in this house.  (Slightly crazy, no?)  Right after we got back from our trip, I cut out the fabric and it has sat here without being sewn since then.

A close-up of the fabric, next to one of the cool curtain rods we bought two years ago.

In light of our upcoming trip to Michigan, I have this silly little goal for myself.  Which is to sew the curtains and hang them (and hopefully those stubborn blinds) before we go back up there again.  I guess it's sort of my way of redeeming myself after all the years of procrastinating.

And I'm sharing it here today (even though I'm not sure anybody out there really cares) as a way of holding myself accountable to that goal. 

Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this sort of thing...  :)

3 comments:

Orange Grove Nursery said...

No, you're not the only one! Our house is full of half-finished projects. We need to focus on ONE thing until it's finished. Here's to hoping you can reach your goal! :)

Rachel

Anonymous said...

We usually have several projects going at once which makes it harder to get any of them done. We too have things that have been on the back burner for ages that need doing & hope to get some of them done this summer. Mom

Becky Dempsey said...

I tried to comment before but it had an error. I have a bunch of things that I should get around to finishing, too! I did recently finish the Romanian Point Lace motif for Andy's baby blanket :)