1.30.2012

room to breathe.

We've been badly in need of new couches for some time... the one couch had a hole in the seat cushion, and the other was just kind of worn out and grungy.  But whenever we looked in the stores, the prices were more than we could manage right now, and nothing on Craigslist was the right thing for the right price. 

So.  Matt has a hobby, I guess you could call it, of looking for auctions.  Which is no surprise if you know us well, since we've bought (among many other things) several vehicles, a camper, and our current home at auction.  In the Phoenix area, it's really quite amazing how many auctions there are.  So a few weeks ago, Matt went to one on a Friday evening and bought a couple lamps that he needed for his office.  And a week ago Friday, he took me to this same auction (kinda like a date) so I could check it out, too.

Well, long story short, we ended up with two couches: a brand new black couch for only $80 and a cool, vintage sofa for $35.  I was very excited about the vintage couch, but not so sure how it would look with this brand new, very contemporary couch in the same living room.

So, the next order of business was getting the old couches out of the living room and the new ones in.  One couch moved into the garage, and the two new ones moved in.  Our living room was *crowded*.  And we couldn't park the minivan in the garage.  I was *so* ready to get rid of those old couches!  

I am happy to say that after a couple ads on Craigslist and a post on FreeCycle (and numerous emails, texts, and phone calls), this weekend we finally cleared our room down to our auction finds.  Yea!! :)


view from the dining area

view from the vintage sofa, looking toward the front door


It feels so much more spacious to me now... like we added several square feet to our downstairs.  I feel ready to start in on school for the week! :)

2 comments:

Ed & Dottie said...

The couches look neat & sure give you more floor space. Did you think of the light one against the dark wall & the other on the light wall? Would give a complete different look. Not one dark side & one light side, that is what I see when I looked at the pictures.

Amy :) said...

Hmmm, that's a good point, Mom. I did actually find myself thinking of painting the white wall, once we moved the sofa there. We do like the lighter couch there because its back is lower and it doesn't block the windows as much. (It looked really low when we had it on the green wall.)

I've got schemes in my mind for a lamp makeover, couch pillows and matching curtains for all the windows, to hopefully tie it all together a bit better. We shall see... :)