7.18.2011

quick post.

My early riser yesterday.  Naomi came downstairs shortly after 6:00 yesterday morning while I was working on some things.  A few minutes later, this is how I found her. :)
Pretty much all I needed for my art display.  Nine Propanels (the best on the market), an EZ-Up canopy with walls, weights, attachments, art hangers, and a cool cart to haul everything.  We got a very good deal, but I am *really* hoping I can sell art, because this was not cheap!


Some of the "extras" I got with my art display purchase yesterday afternoon.  (That Propanel bin in the center would cost me $185 if I were to buy it new, and the tall directors chairs start at about $65!)  Cute 7-year-old not included... :)

So a few days ago, I posted on the Propanels forum that I was looking for some Propanels in the Phoenix area and I needed them this week.  I honestly didn't really expect anything.  Just so happens that a man who has done many art fairs in the area is moving to Hawaii, so he emailed me Saturday night and offered me a great bargain on his Propanels and display.

Matt & I took the seats out of the minivan yesterday afternoon and drove across the Valley to check it out.  The Propanels are in pristine condition, the man threw in a bunch of extras, and even gave me what was like "Art Fair 101", with all kinds of tips on how to set up the display to which art fairs in the area are the best.  He told me to email if I have any questions, and I do think he means it.

I feel excited and freaked out, all at the same time.  It feels calming to know I can focus on painting now to get ready for art fairs.  At the same time, though, it feels crazy that we've spent a lot of money in the hopes of making some.  I sure hope that people will like my art, because I am really committed now!

3 comments:

sher said...

Good luck Amy. I'm only thinking about next year and freaked out already. For a single person it is quite a committment to the Art Fair season to tell work "I want weekends off to do art shows." Of course, on my side, one of my co-workers who's had the last two summers of weekends off so there's that.
It is awesome that you are doing this and have such awesome support. Have I said how awesome that is? :)

Mieal Deneb said...

It's kind of freaky spending money in the hopes to make money! I'm spending a lot more than we actually should be spending to start up my reborning "business" in the hopes that I'll be able to sell them. I hope that you will be able to sell lots of art, Amy!

Love,

Rachel

Amy :) said...

Hi Sherry, Yep, it's pretty amazing to have so much support! At church, Matt mentioned my art business, so people have been praying for me. After I posted on Facebook about it, I had probably 3-4 ladies at church congratulate me. And *tons* of comments on Facebook. Wow.

It is totally freaky, but you should definitely try it! Just knowing I have the set-up for art fairs gives me confidence, in a weird sort of way. And I think your work is good.

I'll bet you can get some weekends off, here & there... you wouldn't need to do it every weekend to get started. I'm sure not planning to do that! Paying $300 a shot is a lot to do every weekend when I'm not sure if I'll be able to sell anything!!

Hi Rachel, Yeah... it *is* freaky spending money on getting this going! I don't know anything about the reborning business, but I'm sure hoping I can sell some art to at least cover my expenses so far. Thanks for your support, too! :) I hope you can make money on your ventures, too!