6.15.2011

happenings around here.

What's going on around here lately?  Well, I'm glad you asked  (okay, I know you didn't really ask, but I'll tell you anyway!)...

An Anniversary...

Our family on the day we left the U.P.~June 10, 2007

Today marks 4 years since we became Arizonans.  :)  I'm reminded this year of all the work that goes into a move, since our next-door neighbor is packing up to move next week.  Whew!  It's a *lot* of work!!  I am glad that we made the move from Michigan, despite all the work it involved, and the adjustments that moving so far away involved.  It's been good... God has been good, and we have much to be thankful for. :)

HOA Politics...
Matt & I have gotten involved in HOA politics (!) lately.  This is the first time we've lived in a homeowners association and we recently became aware of some issues in our neighborhood that needed addressing.  We went around meeting & talking with neighbors this weekend, and I set up a website for our neighborhood within our HOA.  

And, I surprised Matt and quite a few other people (not to mention myself!) Monday evening at the HOA board meeting by getting up in front of everyone and talking.  It's a long story, but I am actually contemplating applying for a vacancy on the HOA board.  Yikes!  I have some time to decide... it will be a couple months yet before the board decides who will fill the vacancy on the board.  In the meantime, I am mulling it over in my mind and praying about it a lot.  (This is so far out of my "comfort zone", it's crazy!)

What's really cool about all of this is that we are finally meeting more neighbors.  Matt prays almost every day that God will use us in our neighbors' lives, however He sees fit.  I can't help but think that this is a direct answer to those prayers.  We are actually beginning to develop relationships with neighbors... Frank, Rosemary, Matt, Jared, Sue, Christien, Lee, Dexter, etc.  There is definitely a need for Christ in our neighborhood, and we are excited to see how God will use our neighborhood involvement to share His love with people around us!  :)

Art Stuff...
I've been working on a painting for my sister-in-law.  She had an idea of something she wanted me to paint for her newly-remodeled kitchen.  She was going to pay me something for it, but we are giving it to her as a retirement gift.  It's getting close to being done... my goal is to have it done by Saturday.  I'll post a photo of it then... until she sees it, it's a surprise what it looks like!  :)

I have a "commissioned" horse portrait I'll be doing next.  It's a barter for plumbing/heating work on our Marquette house.  Should be fun to do another horse painting, since I've been doing other things for a couple months.  And we always need that sort of work done at our Marquette house, sooner or later, so it will be good to have that "credit" with one of the companies up there.  :)

Travel...
Normally we're getting ready for our Michigan trip at this time of the year.  So it's weird not to be doing that this year.  We're planning to make the trip in the fall this year.  And we're contemplating taking Amtrak again... had been planning to drive, but they're having a great sale right now. 

Guess that's about it for now.  Hope your summer is off to a great start!
Amy :)

No comments: