6.02.2011

being creative.

A few months ago, I signed up for a "Being Creative" project started by illustrator Julia Crossland.  Every month, there is a different theme, and May's theme was "Home".  (I actually signed up as "ART by Amelia Kay"--my art blog--but I thought I'd post my project here for the check-in, since it isn't as "artsy".)

So here's a little background on the whole project, because when most people see what I made, they have NO idea what in the world it is... and you'll understand once you read my little bit here.  :)

We are working extra-hard at paying off our debts, and have been trying to think of ways to make a bit more income.  So last fall, I started collecting acrylic paints, canvases, easels, a few new paintbrushes and began painting again.  I'm still working toward my first sale, and along the way somewhere we thought it might help to sort of "tie into" something that's already working for us income-wise.  Which is renting out our Marquette house as a vacation rental. (Our former home, our "home away from home", which ties this all into the "home" theme, see?)  

So I'm working on some Beach House-related art to sell, and I got this (crazy?) idea that I could make pillows shaped like Michigan's Upper Peninsula to sell at the house and on etsy.  It really has been an obsession lately, and I finally have two pillows to show for it.  (Well, there were probably five prototype pillows, but I have two that I have deemed "sale worthy".)  So far, we've had a couple views on etsy and one "heart", so we'll see what happens there.

Anyway, here they are...

This pillow is made with the same fabric as the curtains in our Beach House's "Sailors Cove" bedroom.  The fabric is a lightweight canvas, and it makes the pillow SO soft and cuddly!  :)


Here's Marissa with a pillow made of a nice weighty upholstery-type fabric, which was a little tricky with stuffing the little areas, but it's nice & substantial and I love the little swirly pattern.  If you click on the photo, it will enlarge so you can see a little better.

Okay, so for those of you unfamiliar with Michigan, I'll help you out. Here's a map of the Upper Peninsula for your comparison. I had to tweak the shape a bit to make it more pillow-ish, so it's not exact.  :)

A map of the U.P. I just found online.


And even though it's not finished yet, I will post my main project.  I am hoping to get back into working on it today so that hopefully this weekend we can take it to the printer and have it scanned and have some giclee prints made of it.  (I know some of my readers are wondering what a giclee print is, so that's why I've put a link there.  I didn't know what a giclee print was until I kept seeing the word online and looked it up a few months ago.)

Here I am, a week or two ago in the midst of working on my current painting.  I painted a lot more of the tiny branches since I shot this pic and have taken a bit of a break to work on the pillow obsession, but I'm getting back to work on this one today.



Just had to post the finished painting, which I did indeed finish the day I posted this.  My "ta-dah!" post is over at my art blog.  Prints will be coming soon!  :)

6 comments:

Julia said...

Hello!
I loved reading this post - your cushions are awesome (Im having a slight moment of envy as I read you have a beach house! lol) and your painting is lovely - I like the vista from the window there, a real sense of distance...there is also a sense of contentment to this piece, the feeling that someone is pausing with a comforting mug of something delicious by the window to gaze at a familiar view. Wonderful!

Much love, and thank you so much for taking the time to take part.
Julia x

Amy :) said...

Hi Julia,

Thanks for your kind comments. :)

Sadly, our Beach House is 1700 miles (a 33 hr. drive) from us, and flying 7 people there is pricey, so we only get to enjoy it one week a year. One day we will figure out how to live here in Arizona during the winter and there in the summer. :)

The painting is from a photo a friend took while he and his family were vacationing at the house. From the first moment I saw his photograph, I loved it because it gives such a relaxing feeling. So it was natural that I chose this one for my first Beach House inspired painting. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Ali said...

Cool cushions! What's in the mug I wonder? ...and what a view! Glad you do get to enjoy it even if it is for a short time.
Ali

Amy :) said...

Hi Ali,

I just have to say that I love how people in the UK call them "cushions"... somehow it makes our "pillows" sound boring!

Our friend was drinking coffee and reading a book, sitting on the deck with the mug on the railing. (But isn't it fun just *wondering* what was in the mug?)

And yes, we are SO thankful for being able to enjoy our Beach House, even if only for one week a year! :) (And we vicariously enjoy it while our guests are there, too.)

Thanks for stopping by! :)

CarolineZ said...

Hi Amy, what a great idea to use this shape for the pillow's, very unusual but that makes them interesting. I wish I could have your painting skills. Hope that you'll be able to paint more. Warm regards from Amsterdam! Caroline

Amy :) said...

Caroline,

Thanks for your nice comment. :) I believe I finished my painting yesterday (sometimes it's hard to know just when to stop), so that's exciting!

I just checked out your blog... and since I don't know Dutch, I was able to read it thanks to Google Translate.

Greetings from sunny Arizona to you today! :)