12.10.2010

These are a few of my Favorite Things...

The Avon nativity set my parents gave us 16 years ago,
and the Christmas tree I crocheted in 8th grade.

Matt's mom gave us this beautiful "Our 1st Christmas Together" ornament in 1990.  It has always been one of my very favorite & special ornaments on our trees together over the years.  This year it is our 21st Christmas together! :)

Our Jessica snowflake my parents gave us in 1995,
what would have been Jessica's 1st Christmas.

Matt's mom & her dog, Teddy.  She gave us this in 1991 and then died on Christmas Eve 1995.  Every year we put her on the front of the tree with our other special ornaments.

A new one.  When we had our faithful dog, Jack, put down in July they made this impression of his foot.  Marissa painted it green and I added his name tag below and put fishing wire on it so we could use it as an ornament.

We have several of these crocheted snowflakes, made by our friend Lori as part of a wedding gift.  It was fun to get Christmas decorations for our May wedding!

We have several of these from Matt's childhood.

Another from Matt's childhood.

This was when Marissa was almost 3, and she just wouldn't look straight on at the camera for whoever at church it was that snapped this photo!

Matt doesn't remember where this dog came from, but it's been around
as long as he can remember from when he was a kid.

Our advent calendar that came with the house, out in the garage.
Surprisingly enough, all the pieces were still there! :)

Our Christmas card wreath so far this year.  I love this time of year because every day when we go to the mailbox, there are new cards!  So far, all three non-photo cards are of three wise men.  We think that's funny that we have THREE 3 wise men cards.  So far.  :)

Okay, this Santa is kind of weird-looking, but it's from Matt's growing up years.  And I have memories of it being on Matt & Frank's door to their apartment before Matt & I got married.  This guy was broken  and out of commission for several years until I fixed him last year, and now he hangs on our pantry door.

My sister Rachel made this for us in 1996, and we love it!  Sadly, the red blob was from a candle that melted in our garage... we had never even thought of the candles in our Christmas boxes during our first blazing hot summer out here!

The nativity set I sewed from a panel that a friend gave us.  Notice all the needles on the floor?  Our tree seriously was shedding when we bought it.
We'll have to see if its lasts much longer...

And, who could forget these "favorite things"?!  :) 

4 comments:

Mieal Deneb said...

I really liked hearing the "story" behind a lot of your Christmas decorations. I LOVE decorating the house and tree with decorations that mean something special. :) I LOVE this time of year!

Love,

Rachel

Amy :) said...

Thanks, Rachel! I am so enjoying all our special decorations and the family Christmas traditions we've created. I'm almost sad that it's only 9 days until Christmas, because then it will all end!

Wife, Mom, Teacher said...

Cute advent thingie. :) Are those drawers or flaps that open along the sides for the days?

Amy :) said...

They're wooden flaps that flip down to reveal the toy hidden inside. It was in brand-new condition when we bought the house.

It was amazing to find something in that good condition left behind, considering what condition the house itself was in!