This date is rather important in our family. More on that in a bit, but first I thought I'd post a few pics from our life six years ago.
 |
| Jesse (22 months old) fell asleep on the kitchen floor |
 |
| Joshua (age 3 1/2) fell asleep eating dinner... hmmm, do I see a theme here?? |
 |
| David (age 10 1/2) holding Naomi (3 months) |
 |
| Jesse on the crest of the hill by our beach |
 |
| Marissa (age 7 1/2), Joshua (3 1/2) and Jesse (22 months) on a huge piece of driftwood |
 |
| Getting ready for a family shot... kind of shows you the busy-ness of life at that time. :) |
 |
| Family shot for our Youth for Christ newsletter |
 |
| Yes, I remember this, sort of vaguely. Holding one baby and comforting another at the same time. Those were busy years! |
I forget sometimes how busy and bustling our life was in 2004. I had just given birth for the sixth time, my vision was blurry in my left eye, and in September (when these photos were taken), I was diagnosed with a meningioma brain tumor. I was homeschooling our older two kids. Matt was on full-time staff with Youth for Christ and we were living on people's financial support.
The outpouring of love and care from God's people during this time was simply amazing, and something I have to share with people every year at this time. Kind of like how the Bible reiterates, time after time, of how God cared for the Israelites and carried them through tough time after tough time.
So, at risk of sounding like a broken record (if you have been a reader of my blog for years), I am compelled to say that six years ago today (on a Tuesday, as today is) God answered *so* many prayers in our life!
I had brain surgery to remove my meningioma brain tumor, and they got the whole thing! The amazing thing is that my brain tumor was in a very tough place to get, and my neurosurgeon thought they might have to leave part of it behind. But they got all of it! :)
 |
| There I am, after my surgery, Oct. 26, 2004. I remember wondering if I should smile for the camera, but since I had just had brain surgery, I went with the "serious" look for this photo. Looking back on it, I think I should have smiled, to show people how well I was doing just hours after brain surgery! |
 |
| Five days later, about to head out for home. (See how swollen the left side of my face was?) It was such an emotionally charged day, just being overwhelmed in a way I never had been before by how much God loves me. I felt like I got just a *tiny* glimpse of how big He is and how much He loves each and every one of the people He created. I cannot explain it, and I haven't felt that way very many times in my life, but I did that day. |
 |
| A couple weeks later, just before I had my staples removed. Yep, there were 44 of them in my head... and I have the scar to prove it. :) |
Many people are wiped out for years after brain surgery, but for me it was only 2 1/2 weeks! :) (Which was a good thing, too, since I had a very busy household at the time...) In fact, we had people lined up through our church and Youth for Christ to help with meals and childcare for a couple of months.
After a few weeks, the helpers and I just sat and looked at each other (wondering why they needed to be there), so I called the person in charge of arranging it all and said I was fine and we didn't need the help any more!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, thanks for taking a little trip down memory lane with me today! Honestly, it sounds so trite, but I really want to point to God today and give Him the praise for how He carried us through what we lovingly call our "brain tumor adventure".
Thank you, God! :)
5 comments:
What a amazing journey of your family life and god its being so good. We praise him for all that he gave and making you even stronger.
Love the pics of the kids and family on the beach. Cherish every moments and may you full fills hope for the future. It was really nice to see you guys at the family pinic and hope will be more days like it.
We love you all..Jeff and Me.
I remember being so in awe of God too, how well your surgery went and the fact that, despite it being in a VERY tough spot, the doctors were able to remove everything. What a wonderful God we have!!
Love you,
Rachel
I remember coming out to the hospital that day and sitting/praying with Dean and Matt. What an amazing time in your life. I have often told people about it.
Heidi, I remember that, too, and I was so thankful that you & Nathan came all the way to Evanston to be with Matt during my surgery.
I still cringe inside, though, when I remember how you guys (after Matt made you all scrub in) came into my ICU room, and as Dean reached out to take my hand, I said, "Did you wash your hands?" I remember he quickly pulled his hand away.
Even then, in my rather drugged state, I realized how rude that sounded. I remember how shocked you all looked, and it seemed like you all scurried away after that!
In any case, however it appeared, I was *so* glad you were all there! :)
I don't remember that at all, you didn't seem rude to me. We just didn't want to wear you out visiting too long, I think. :)
Post a Comment