The way I see it is, why spend a lot of money on something if there's a way to get it for less somewhere else?
On Saturday, we picked up our first produce basket from a food co-op I found online. We got two round laundry baskets' worth of veggies & fruit. I forgot to take a photo of what we got, but trust me, it was worth every penny of the $18.50 we paid for it! :) Tomatoes, lettuce, avocadoes, cilantro, bananas, strawberries, pomegranates, zucchini, etc. Mmm!
Mark & Anita had told us before about a food bank in our town where they used to volunteer. Anyone, regardless of income, can buy food there. We have been meaning to stop in and check it out, and finally did. The kids & I went and got our first "box" this morning. We paid $30 and got over $100 worth of food! (That's it in the photo.)
I was just flabbergasted when I saw how much there was! I think I found my new favorite place to get groceries!




3 comments:
Is that any thing like the Angel Food program? Love Ya, :)
Mom
WOW! Look at all that yummy fresh produce! I'll have to google that for my area. We are needing to get (and stick to) a grocery budget...how awesome you can get all that for less than a 1/3.
Hi! Thanks for your comments... I *love* getting them! :)
Mom, I think our Share program that we had in Marquette was similar to your Angel Food program. We ordered and got the package once a month.
The food co-op here got together to get fresh produce & other things in bulk & then split it up. They distribute baskets at the park every two weeks.
With the food bank, we can go anytime they're open (5 days/week) to buy a package, as often as we like. Also, they have a huge box of "bonus" items with each box we buy. I got two with the "variety box" we bought. The bonus items vary because they're donated... the produce, baked goods and other miscellaneous stuff are the bonus things.
Matt just read in the paper this morning that food prices in Arizona have gone up 19% in the last year. Well, for us they just went down significantly in the past few days!! :)
Amy :)
Post a Comment