1.25.2008

Tuesday & Wednesday's progress at the new house

Tuesday, we decided it was time to call in the troops! We recruited some friends (who had previously offered) to come help us work this week at the new house. :)

Here's a pictorial review of some of Tuesday & Wednesday's progress...


The kids & I went to Home Depot with our 10% off Lowe's coupon (did you know Home Depot honors Lowe's coupons?) and ordered interior doors, got two new toilets, doorknobs, a showerhead, faucet for the bathroom sink, paint, etc.



I did a bit of spackling Tuesday afternoon. There are *lots* of screw/nail holes & nicks in the walls, and it almost looks as if the previous owners just tore off their window treatments, leaving holes where the screws had been.



On Tuesday, the younger three kids napped in the only dark spot in the house, the master suite closet! Naomi has taken a couple more naps there this week... it works pretty well. :)



David & Marissa reading during naptime, and Marissa prepared a craft for when the three youngest woke up. :)



On Wednesday, a friend of ours from church, Deanna, came with her daughter Haley to help me work on the new house. She vacuumed rooms and washed baseboards, while I worked on spackling & taping the boys' room.



Then we, along with Marissa, painted a layer of Kilz primer on the walls (you can see why we needed to!) to prepare them for being painted white.




Marissa made bibs for the younger kids before we painted. This was just before I accidentally dropped the screwdriver into the full gallon pail of Kilz, splatting primer on about four kids! Good thing they had those bibs on... the splats weren't nearly as bad as they would have been without the bibs! :)




Our friend Wayne, our church's assistant pastor, came in the late afternoon and he & Matt worked on taping in preparation for painting. He also helped us figure out the sound system, with two speakers in the living room, two in the master bedroom, and two in the upstairs loft/den. David was *so* excited about this... now we can listen to the same music in any part of the house! I have to admit, I think it's pretty nice, too. :)

By the way, this photo is totally posed... I had forgotten to take a photo of Wayne while he was working, so the guys just stopped and intently studied the handrail on the way down the stairs, all so I could take a photo. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

try again, I had a comment ready to leave & couldn't get it to let me post it. I wanted to thank you for posting pictures of the work on the house. We have been praying that you'd be able to get at least enough done on the house that you could move in. Love ya, :)
Mom

Roberta said...

You've made alot of progress, look at all that sanding! I like the warm beige color. The carpet looks nice, did you lay down new, or was that there? What a blessing on the appliances, and for dear friends too that are so helpful.