1.21.2008

Thoughts about life & death

I've been thinking a lot about Morgan's death since last Friday. It's still really hard for Matt & me to wrap our minds around it. How someone so young, with so much vitality and love for life & her Lord to die like that. But we know that God is good, and He loves & cares for Morgan's husband Curt and her family very much and will carry them through this.

I've been thinking a lot about Morgan through our whole getting the house, sanding cabinet doors and working on the house, and something keeps coming into my mind through it all. When our daughter Jessica died in 1995, my Aunt Marge gave us prints from a roll of film she had taken at Jessica's burial service.

What was weird about these photos was that somehow, after taking the roll of film, she had accidentally reloaded the same roll of film into her camera and taken another 24 or so photos on top of the ones of Jessica's burial service. So, interposed on top of our saddest time ever were everyday photos of Aunt Marge's family's life in the following days. I actually have enjoyed looking at those photos from time to time over the years. Just seeing how life keeps going on, with happy moments on top of very, very sad ones.

In our life, everything for many years was categorized in my mind as "before Jessica died" and "after Jessica died". It isn't that way so much anymore, and the grief just interwove itself into our lives until it became a "new normal". Not the way life was before. Not getting *over* the grief. Just integrating it into our lives.

I've been thinking a lot about that in regard to Morgan's death. How we have this new house we're fixing up, and other people have events going on in their lives, all the while that Curt begins to adjust to life without Morgan, and her parents get used to not having their daughter here on earth anymore. Their grief is so fresh, so painful right now, and it is so hard to see them have to go through it. It just seems like Morgan should still be here!

They need lots of prayer right now. Keep lifting them up. The days and months ahead will be hard, but I know God loves them SO much and will carry them through this. I'm glad to know He is there with them.

2 comments:

The Gruenwald Family said...

Amy, I never met Morgan personally. I met Curt, but only saw Morgan in church when we first started to attend Marquette Missionary. We heard about her passing on Sunday. Eventhough I never met her, I was really sad. I got on the caring bridge site and read what her mother wrote. As a mom, it's hard to imagine what she's going through. I look at my beautiful little girls and can't imagine having one of them die before me. You have been through that. What you said about "integrating" grief was something I had never heard before-it's so true. I am also reminded that this world is not our home. It's so hard to remember that.

Wife, Mom, Teacher said...

My heart grieves for Morgan's family. I will be praying for their peace.