11.27.2007

Sad News

Matt's brother Drew died on Saturday sometime. We found out about it while eating dinner and watching a movie as a family, after a very nice time of holiday celebrating.

Drew was only 59, single and without children. This has hit us kind of hard. We didn't know how sick he was. He had liver problems and was bleeding in another part of his body that suggests maybe he had colon cancer. His friend in Texas told Anita that he didn't want to go in and get checked out.

For me, I feel so sad because Drew was so alone. No wife, no kids, no family nearby. I hope that one day if I get sick like that, that I have family all around me, loving me, saying goodbye to me. I think for me, that's the hardest thing, knowing he was so alone. And wishing we had called him to talk with him on Thanksgiving. Our younger three kids never met him... the last time we saw him was in 1998.

This is hitting Matt pretty hard. Please pray for him and for their brother Mark, the one who lives close to us here. Mark & Drew's dad, who lives in California, is dying of colon cancer, so I imagine this must be especially hard for Mark. While you're at it, please pray for their dad, too. His name is John.

We had enough conversations with Drew to believe that he knows the Lord and is in heaven with Him, but it's still hard and we have grieving to do. Thanks for praying!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for you loss. Your family will be in my prayers.--Judy

Jodi said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your Brother-in-law's passing. We will remember him and your family in our prayers over the coming days and weeks as you process, mourn, and heal.
Peace to you~we hope your advent is full of God's presence.

Anonymous said...

Dear Amy,
I was feeling lonely for you and your family and went on the blog. I will be praying for your family as you each grieve in your own way the passing of Drew. I'm sorry.
Love,
Jenn, Jim and family

Roberta said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I pray you will know God's strength during this time of grief.

Amy :) said...

Thanks, everyone, for your kind thoughts & for your prayers, too. We really appreciate it!

Yesterday, I picked up Drew's ashes at the post office. In the midst of people sending Christmas cards & packages, I was handed a box of all that is left of my brother-in-law's body.

I felt so sad as I carried the ashes out to the van. I said to the kids, "I am so sorry that most of you didn't get to meet Drew when he was still alive." :(

But, we know where he *really* is, and it's not in that box in our closet, is it? And for that, I am glad. :) We will see him again one day. There are already so many loved ones there in heaven waiting for us...