11.27.2007

Our first Thanksgiving in Arizona

Growing up, my family spent Thanksgiving at my maternal grandparents' house. Since Matt & I got married in 1990, we haven't spent *every* Thanksgiving there, but we still spent a good many at the extended family dinner. Obviously this year, we weren't able to hop in the van and make the 6-hour drive to the family dinner, so I wasn't sure how this Thanksgiving would feel.

But we had a really nice Thanksgiving this year. :) In the morning, we turned on the Macy's Thanksgiving parade on TV, and most of the kids watched that while Marissa & I worked in the kitchen. It was fun spending that time with her. :)

Mark & Anita (Matt's brother & his wife) came over about an hour before everything was ready, and we bustled around the kitchen getting everything put together. This included digging their mom's old china and silver out of the boxes I'd packed them in when we left Michigan. It was fun to use those things again with Mark & Anita... it had been many years since we were close enough at a holiday to eat together. :)

After the meal and clean-up, we went for a short hike at the regional park near us. Jack the dog, always sniffing to see what dogs had been around, stepped into a cactus and had to have several spines plucked out... at dusk. He's allright now, though. :)

How was your Thanksgiving? I'd love to hear about it... :)







Here I am in our backyard with the roses that Matt gave me for my birthday. There were 14 red roses and 14 white roses. *Very* beautiful, and they smelled great, too! :)








Here's me in the kitchen, getting the turkey ready for its time in the oven. I don't usually wear an apron, but thought it would be kinda fun to wear one while making Thanksgiving dinner! :)









My kitchen helper, Marissa, hard at work peeling 10 pounds of potatoes. There's just nothing quite like mashed potatoes with turkey gravy. Mmmm...











Matt & Mark washed & dried the dishes, while I put them away. It was fun watching the guys working together. :)






Here we are just before our short hike. (Anita was taking the photo.) Click on it so it will get larger and take a look at Jesse... I'm not referring to his fashion statement, but to his being in mid-air. Cool, huh?

2 comments:

Roberta said...

Pretty roses...we're nearly the same! Adam gave me a bouquet of roses for my birthday too that had 1 dozen red and 1 dozen white. I hung them to dry and they look really pretty.

Love your apron!

And cute! about Jesse being in the air. My husband says his brother (when they were little) was always jumping up and down...any and everywhere...and there are pictures of him in midair too.

Amy :) said...

Roberta,

How wild that your husband gave you almost exactly the same gift that Matt gave me!! :) I didn't hang mine to dry, so I don't still have them, but I really enjoyed seeing them in the big vase Matt got me for Christmas last year. :)

That's funny how your hubby's brother was always in the air too! :) That's just Jesse... always on the move... he's so cute! :)