10.25.2007

Joshua reads

I've noticed this school year that Joshua is really "clicking" with school. Among other things, he is learning to put the sounds letters make together to read some words. Yesterday, I had the idea of having him practice reading to Jesse & Naomi. Now that I think back on it, when David & Marissa were new at this "reading thing", they both learned well from that method. It was good for David because it gave him practice, and good for Marissa because she was seeing how he sounded the words out. She just sort of learned to read "by osmosis" from sitting with David while he read aloud to her.

Today I took this photo of the three younger kids while Joshua read to them. I thought they looked pretty cute! :)

3 comments:

Roberta said...

Very sweet, they seem to really be enjoying this time together!
My Gracie (6 1/2) learned this summer and reads to the 4 and almost 2 year old. I love that!
It's sad how homeschoolers lack socialization. ;)
Diggin' Naomi's hair! Too cute. Love the hair-doodles! (that's what we call them.)

Amy :) said...

Roberta,

I do like our kids are used to being around all different ages, not just kids their own age. They feel comfortable talking with adults, too, which is something I remember being very shy about for the longest time when I was growing up.

I kind of have to smile every time we're out at an appointment of some sort (we're doing the rounds with our new insurance... eye exams, well child visits, dental cleanings). Inevitably, someone will ask a question about where they go to school or if they like their teacher, and the younger kids will chime in with, "we don't GO to school; we're homeschooled." or "Hee-hee... my MOM is my teacher!".

Funny that you noticed Naomi's hair! The evening before I took that photo, she kept bringing me hair thing after thing and asking in the cutest way to have each new one put into her hair. Yesterday morning, after she had showered, she wanted them all back in again. :)

I'm thinking of you today, on the anniversary of Elliott's going to be with Jesus.

Amy :)

Roberta said...

Thank you. Bittersweet, as I know our home is in heaven...and he's already home.