
Matt asked me to marry him sixteen years ago today! I thought it would be fun to post the story here today.
We were both college students with at least a year or two until graduation, and had been dating since April 1989. We broke up in December, and while I was trying to imagine my life without Matt, he was contemplating marrying me. After an agonizing month in which I tried to pretend that I wasn't crazy about my friend Matt, we started dating again.
A few weeks later, in early February, Matt told me he thought we needed to decide by the end of the semester whether or not we were going to get married! We had never talked about marriage before because early on in our dating relationship, Matt had said he didn’t want to talk about marriage unless we were serious about it. We decided that day to each ask one person to pray for us to make the right decision. I ran the whole eight blocks to my apartment to tell my roommate Karen, a real prayer warrior, only to find her not home!
I was leaving that day to visit my brother for the weekend, so I quickly packed up some things. I was a *tad* distracted and forgot a few things—like my contact case, toothbrush & toothpaste, etc. Before I left, Karen came home, and I told her what Matt and I had talked about. She was totally shocked, but of course agreed to pray for us.
That weekend, while I was gone, Matt and some of our friends were eating a big bag of conversation hearts. He saved out all the “good” ones—you know, “Kiss Me”, “Hug Me”, etc. When I was back, he gave me these candy hearts, one at a time. Little did I know he had saved one very special one for later.
Eight days after Valentine's Day, Matt had to work until 11:00 p.m., and I didn't know it, but he had something up his sleeve. I was the “emcee” for our Campus Crusade for Christ meeting. Every week we had “sharing time”, when people could share things God had been doing in their life that week. That evening when I asked if anyone had something to share, our friend Jay jumped up and ran to the front of the room, saying “I do! I do!” while holding up a small white envelope in his hand. He gave it to me and went back to where he had been sitting.
The front of the envelope said, written in Matt’s handwriting: “Amy—Open at the beginning of sharing time. Read to yourself.” I opened it and found a yellow piece of notebook paper, folded in thirds. The front said, “Amy will you?”. I opened it up, and saw “Amy will you?”, and opened it again to see “Amy will you?” written yet another time. Tucked in a flap of the paper was a purple conversation heart that said “Marry Me”! (In case you wondered, the photo above is of the envelope, note & candy heart he used.)
The room was silent. Someone finally asked what the note said, so I read it to them, and then someone else asked what my answer was. I said that when Matt got done with work that evening, I’d tell him yes! Jay’s wife, Diana, had made a cake with “Congratulations, Matt & Amy!” on it, feeling confident that I was going to say yes.
I now had an agonizing few hours to wait before Matt was done with work! A few of us went to the store to kill some time. I tried in vain to find something that said “Yes” on it, and decided I was just going to have to answer him uncreatively. Finally, after I had paced the floors at home for quite some time, Matt was at my apartment door. When I answered the door, he asked, smiling, “Well?”. I said, “Ask me yourself!” and he said, “Will you marry me?” to which I (obviously) said “YES!”
Matt asked me when I’d like to get married, but I thought he looked like he had a time in mind, so I asked him when he was thinking. He said something about when the semester was over, in May. I said, “May? Can you plan a wedding that fast?” and he said, “Oh, sure!”. We were all into having a short engagement and not having to deal with temptation so long.
We called my parents and Matt asked my dad for my hand in marriage (he had tried earlier, but they weren’t home). I think we woke my parents up, and they were a bit groggy, but they said yes. Later, we settled on a wedding date of May 5th, since a week later was Matt’s mother’s 50th high school reunion, and there were other things going on with my home church the other two weekends in May. So our engagement was only 10 weeks, 2 days long, which seemed SO long to us at the time.
I'm SO glad Matt asked me to marry him! I hope you enjoyed reading the story of his proposal. :)
It would be fun to read other people’s engagement stories, creative or not. I love hearing how other people got engaged! So, this is your chance--all of you who read my blog but don’t comment. Just click on “comments” below and type away. Thanks!!




13 comments:
What a sweet story - I loved reading it! Thank you so much for sharing it. Hmm, now for mine? It's kind of long, I should tell it fully in my own blog sometime. I was 17, Edward was 19, we had been writing each other for about 1 1/2 years since we'd met through my older sister (I was living in Mexico as an MK during that time). That summer, I moved to CA to live with my sister and prepare to go to college, and Edward and I began courting/dating right away (I think things went so quickly because we'd been longing to see each other so much the whole time we'd been writing). We spent almost all our free time together, either at my sisters or enjoying the outdoors, biking, water skiing, etc. We started college together that fall, still very much in love, and already talking about getting married and seeking God's will on the matter. My 18th birthday was that Oct. 8. On Oct. 10, after asking my parents' permission, Edward took me to this beautiful beach that we both loved and had gone to several times before in Carmel, and asked for my hand in marriage. He said this really sweet thing about God having placed me in his life and knowing that I was the one for him and wanting to spend the rest of his life with me and so on and then he proposed. I was totally surprised, and just stood there crying and completely speechless, but then he stood up and held me and I managed to say yes, and after I regained my composure we went and had a lovely dinner at this fancy restaurant that I love and then went for a long walk along the beach. We were married 8 months later on June 27, 1998. Even though our engagement was only 8 mo., it seemed like forever (and I would have gladly gotten married after only 10 weeks!). We had decided to wait until the school year finished, plus I was young, so I knew that even though we knew we were meant to spend the rest of our lives together and had already sought God's will on the matter, that our families would feel better if we didn't completely rush into it. :) Well, that got kind of long, but there you go. :)
HA. You got one!
Catherine,
Thanks for sharing the story of your engagement! I didn't think it was long at all! :)
Did you continue on with college after getting married? Matt & I were married for 3 years before we had both graduated. If we had it to do again, I wouldn't have done it any differently!
I couldn't imagine waiting three years longer to get married! And, instead of spending so much time wondering how Matt felt about me (as when we were dating), I KNEW, and he was the one I came home to, so it was really good that way, too! :)
Amy :)
Amy~
(I can't believe I missed this post, I check you daily! We were w/o the computer for a day and a half, and had weekend company though, maybe that's why. I actually came here to get your email addy to say "where are you? I miss you! Glad you're back!)
What a very sweet proposal! And how sentimental to save the letter...you didn't even eat the heart! :)
We were married May of '94. My proposal involved WAY TOO HIGH of expectations and I nearly ruined it...I'll have to share it later...my brain's too foggy to say it well and condensed.
Thanks for sharing it!:)
Roberta,
Thanks for your comment! :) I'm sorry I've been "away" for a while. Reading other people's blogs and adding to my own was just consuming too much of my time that it seemed good for me to take a break for a while.
I just came back to put that post on. I'm still trying to figure out how much time in the blogosphere is just the right amount, so I won't be posting every day. But I'm still here!
Thanks for looking for me!
Amy :)
Amy~
I hear you...I have been thinking the same. Many days I turn off the computer altogether so I can't wander in there, sit and nurse the baby and get sucked into cyberspace. It helps, but I need to be more disciplined. :)
Well, I'm sure I've told you this before (but the more I think about it, the less sure I am...) so here goes.
Nathan and I were pretty immature when we were dating and the first time we got engaged was unofficial (no ring or date.) It was about 4 months after we started dating and it was in the grossest place we could think of....the men's bathroom in the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. We thought that was funny!
The next time was "official" with a ring, at least. It was rather unromantic, though, because I decided it was time (we had talked about getting married and just never moved toward getting there). Nathan didn't have money for it, so I put it on my credit card. Then we drove around trying to think of a place where he could propose that would top the bathroom. We ended up in a dumpster at a local university and he didn't want to kneel in it, but I said should. There were only paper products in it, anyway! He did, and I said yes (big surprise!)
We ended up breaking up about 6 months later. I moved to a different state, even, but we kept in touch and we visited each other a couple times. After about 5 months I had a trip planned to his town. We had been talking on the phone constantly and were thinking about marriage again. He met me at the airport and brought me to a little secluded lake with a grassy bank where we had rested on a hike about a year before. That had been a day that was fun and a good memory for both of us. On this day, I didn't know why he had brought me there, but I soon found out. He led me out to the grass and proposed (he had had my ring all this time.) I was very pleasantly surprised and said yes.
Talk about fast weddings, we planned ours for 6 weeks later!
I need to say for anyone out there who is reading this and doesn't know me, I've gotten my control issues under control and Nathan is the firm head of this house. It took a few years of difficult marriage and heartbreak for me to figure this out, but things are MUCH MUCH happier now!
Heidi,
Actually, I don't think I ever heard the story of how you & Nathan got engaged! Thanks for sharing all three stories, even though the first two aren't that romantic! :)
It's been really cool seeing the way God has drawn you & Nathan closer & closer together over the years. I'm so glad things are better for you guys than at first! :)
Thanks for sharing your story!
Amy :)
Heidi,
I don't know you but I enjoyed reading your engagement stories. The first two definitely made me laugh...third time's the charm I guess? I'm so glad your marriage is happy and blessed now. I love reading other people's engagement and marriage stories. What a great topic, Amy.
I just found your blog the other day looking for other natural childbirth or Bradley moms. I really like your blog. Anyway I guess I'll post my engagement story even tho you don't know me. I'm from Oklahoma, 24, and a new mom to a 4.5 month old little girl. My husband and I went to High School together (I had a crush on him from the day I met him) and my dad was actually his junior high wrestling coach. We didn't date until a few weeks after I had graduated high school (he was a year ahead of me). We started dating in June and were talking marriage in January. I had known for a while that he was the one God had for me. We went and looked at rings in January and I picked one out (I know, no suprise, but I tend to be particular). It had to be sized so it was at the jeweler's for a week or so. OK the day it came in he went and picked it up. He called me and said they'd messed it up and it wasn't in yet. We'd been discussing having a prayer time together and since it was Wednesday he wanted to start by having it at the prayer chapel in the church where we really met (we had since changed churches, long story). So he picked me up and had a dozen red roses "in place of the ring." So we go to the chapel and we pray and then he starts telling me all this good (engagement speech-type) stuff, how he's happy we're together and how he's lucky and it's so special. By this time I was sure he'd fibbed about the ring not being in and next thing I know there it was and it was on my finger. All very sweet.
Andra
Hi Amy - I haven't "seen" you around, and just wanted to pop in and see if you were okay!?!
I really enjoyed reading your proposal story...what a creative guy you have there. :) Joshua's birth story was great, too....I LOVE reading birth stories, and what a cutie he is! :)
Miss seeing you, saw a comment from your friend Heidi on another blog I read and thought I'd pop over and tell you so. Hope you are well and enjoying your family and the springtime.
Hi Amy!
--Ryan
Post a Comment