2.08.2006

Our "foyer"



When the addition (family room, laundry room, bathroom) was built onto our house in 1993, we also gained a small "foyer" (ie: entryway, mud room, etc.). At the time, expecting our first child, we didn't realize how wonderful it would be to have a room like this. Now that we have 5 kids in the house, we LOVE this room! It is a place to contain the snow, mud, sand, etc. that comes in the front door. I honestly can't imagine not having this room with 5 kids in the house!! I'm sure you can imagine how messy it gets, too! (In fact, to take these photos, I had to remove several snowsuits, hats, mittens, etc., as well as reorganize all the footwear!


Jack "the Wonder Dog" likes it, too--it has become "his" room, his refuge from the busyness of life with so many kids around. He loves them dearly, but sometimes just likes to get away. :) I had to include a photo of him on his bed in "his room".

Anyway, Roberta was asking about the paint in our foyer, so I thought I'd really go overboard and show you all the entire room! Come to think of it, some of the family members who may read this blog haven't seen the room in years. So in their minds, it may still be the dull, off-white, curtainless, tiny room it was when it was first built.

We are planning sometime--I'm not sure when it will happen amongst our more pressing home projects--to tile the floor with 18" porcelain tiles, kind of a mottled greenish pattern to them. I really like them, especially with the paint we chose for this room!


Anyway, about the chalkboard on the east wall of the room, we are going to put up woodgrain trim around it, to make it look like a picture frame around the chalkboard. The "mat" on it is the lighter shade of green we used for two of the walls in there.
I hope you enjoyed your virtual tour of our well-loved and much-used room, the "foyer"! (Sorry about the crazy arrangement of the photos... I'm still trying to figure that all out!)

2 comments:

Wife, Mom, Teacher said...

How fun! Thanks for the tour! I was very surprised last time we came to see the walls had changed color (although I didn't stop to look too long until the next day since it was around 2 AM.) I love the chalkboard paint, too. We should do that somewhere....

Roberta said...

I LOVE it Amy! Thank you so much for sharing your foyer. I too want to try the chalkboard paint...great idea!