I have never been a part of a church that celebrates the Lent season, but we know a lot of people who do, and a number of years ago I gave up sweets during Lent. It was a good experience, and so this year, feeling the need for some discipline in my life, I decided it might be time to give up something for Lent again. The first thing I thought of was sweets, and then I thought I'd give up Facebook as well.
I can't tell you how great it was to give up Facebook! I'm not saying Facebook is inherently bad or that everybody should give it up, but for me, it was perfect. I needed to de-clutter my mind of all the articles and opinions I was reading. I found myself agitated by all of it, and I have to say the time away has been so, so good for me. I spent a bit of time on Easter checking out Facebook and decided (at least for now) that I prefer being away from it. (Matt lets me know if there's something important on FB I should know about.)
And it just so happened that during this time of Lent, I also gave up caffeine. It really just happened while I had a respiratory illness and was drinking a lot of tea. I weaned myself down to tea, then to decaf tea and before I knew it, I realized I was caffeine-free without having experienced any withdrawal headaches. It was a pretty painless way to do it, actually. I think it will help with the hormonal changes I've been experiencing lately.
Also during Lent, I gave myself dreadlocks. I hadn't planned on doing this during Lent, but it's something that had lurked in the back of my mind for a number of years and I just decided to go for it. But I already wrote about that so I needn't say more now.
I can't tell you how great it was to give up Facebook! I'm not saying Facebook is inherently bad or that everybody should give it up, but for me, it was perfect. I needed to de-clutter my mind of all the articles and opinions I was reading. I found myself agitated by all of it, and I have to say the time away has been so, so good for me. I spent a bit of time on Easter checking out Facebook and decided (at least for now) that I prefer being away from it. (Matt lets me know if there's something important on FB I should know about.)
**As it turns out, this week we had some Facebook-worthy news (see next post) which means I've been on FB the past couple of days.**
It was really good to give up the sweets for several weeks, too. I just felt like I had no self-control when it came to sweets. Giving them up from time to time kind of "resets" my consumption of sweets, so that when I begin eating them again, I evaluate something before eating it. Is this something I really want to eat, or am I just eating it because it's here? I lost a few pounds, nothing huge but enough to notice a slight difference in how things fit. So that was good.
It was really good to give up the sweets for several weeks, too. I just felt like I had no self-control when it came to sweets. Giving them up from time to time kind of "resets" my consumption of sweets, so that when I begin eating them again, I evaluate something before eating it. Is this something I really want to eat, or am I just eating it because it's here? I lost a few pounds, nothing huge but enough to notice a slight difference in how things fit. So that was good.
![]() |
| The cupcake bouquet I made for our church's dessert auction. It brought in some money to help send the kids to Bible camp this summer. :) |
And it just so happened that during this time of Lent, I also gave up caffeine. It really just happened while I had a respiratory illness and was drinking a lot of tea. I weaned myself down to tea, then to decaf tea and before I knew it, I realized I was caffeine-free without having experienced any withdrawal headaches. It was a pretty painless way to do it, actually. I think it will help with the hormonal changes I've been experiencing lately.
![]() |
| Such a lovely family selfie on Easter Sunday. |
Also during Lent, I gave myself dreadlocks. I hadn't planned on doing this during Lent, but it's something that had lurked in the back of my mind for a number of years and I just decided to go for it. But I already wrote about that so I needn't say more now.






No comments:
Post a Comment