3.24.2015

navy bean soup with sweet potato and kale.

Yesterday, I was going to make white bean sloppy joes. But once I got the beans quick-soaked, I wasn't feeling it.  Matt was on the way home from work and I just decided to come up with something. When you're using a pressure cooker, you can get beans cooked pretty quickly, so this wasn't crazy of me. (Okay, maybe just a little. But that's how we roll sometimes.)

Anyway. The food was so good and Matt kept saying over & over how good it was.  So I want to remember this one.  Hence, this post. :)

3 c dry navy beans
1 sweet potato, peeled & cubed
1/2 onion (I used red)
1-2 T cumin
1 t spicy chili powder
Salt & pepper to taste
a few leaves of kale, cut into 1-2 in squares
Water

Soak beans ahead of time. I usually rinse, cover with 1-2 extra inches of water. Bring to boil, reduce heat & boil 10 minutes. Turn off heat, cover & let sit for one hour.

Drain & rinse soaked beans. Put into pressure cooker and add onion, spices and sweet potato. Fill with water to about 4-5 inches above ingredients. Latch lid, turn on high heat. When the cap begins rocking, turn heat just below medium and cook for 18 minutes.  

Remove from heat and follow directions for your pressure cooker to release the pressure.  Take off lid, add kale and cook without lid a couple minutes until kale begins to wilt.



This tastes so creamy and almost sweet because of the sweet potato. Yum! :)

No comments: