2.19.2013

twelve.

Joshua is twelve years old, as of the 9th!  Wow.  Next year he will enter the teens... pretty surreal.  (What's also quite surreal is that next year, we'll have two teens and one in his 20s.  Whoa.)

We have the tradition of the birthday kid picking out the meals for the day, and he had been planning this out for weeks.  

Here's what he picked:
Breakfast: pancakes with real maple syrup for breakfast.  Oh, was that good!  
Lunch: quesadillas.  Yum again. 
Dinner: Taco Bell on the road, since we were on the way to the cheap theater to see "Wreck it Ralph".  (Which, incidentally, is really quite good and one of those kid movies that appeals to adults, too... Matt & I both loved it!)

Joshua with a couple of his gifts.


Joshua had opened gifts from his younger siblings in the morning before Matt & I headed out on the washing machine-finding adventure, and so Marissa & our gifts to him were the much-anticipated end to the day once we got home & had cake & ice cream.  And as it turns out, he got to fully enjoy his day, heading to bed at midnight.  :) 

Birthday boy with the trick candles he requested. :)

Of course, on kids' birthdays, Moms' minds tend to drift back to the original birth-day.  Joshua's was more eventful than the others' because he was born early.  This year, I said something about his due date being Jessica's birthday (March 18).  I didn't realize he wasn't aware of that, so it was kind of fun telling him that. :)  Anyway, if you want to read the whole story of his early birth, you can find it here. 

This was us, back at home after several days in the NICU.  Feb. 18, 2001.

It's so wild watching each one of our kids grow up.  David is off on his own now, back in Marquette.  Marissa is a junior in high school, contemplating colleges... most likely in Michigan, as well.  And now Joshua is twelve, on the cusp of the teenage years, a sixth grader, growing taller & bigger every day.  Wow.  I remember when he was a baby, not sure if he'd be our last since it had taken a little longer to get pregnant than it had the other times.  

I am so thankful for him.  Thankful for God's protection of his life in a number of instances.  Thankful for his fun personality, the goofing around and joking, the calling me "Mumsy" almost as much as he calls me "Mom", the music, games & books he finds interest in.  Thankful that I get to experience life with him.


No comments: