1.02.2013

Christmas break.

When we only had one or two kids doing school, we used to keep going right until Christmas.  A few years ago, though, I realized that while it might have worked then, it just doesn't work at this point in our lives...  we *need* to take a Christmas break.  So, our home school has been on break since December 7th.

Since I had my first juried art fair coming up in just over seven weeks, I was so thankful for the time to be able to paint without being Teacher in addition to everything else.  My (rather ambitious) goal was to complete two new paintings a week, giving me something like 14 new paintings by the time of the art fair.

Not quite so realistic, really.  It was Christmas time.  We had David here for two weeks.  Matt took a lot of vacation time.  But.  Here's what I have to show for the extra time I was able to paint this past month:


This one is Matt's new favorite.

This one was super fast and fun to paint.
This one I am *so* pleased with.  I went through several phases of, "This painting will never work.  What was I thinking?" before it was completed, and every time I look at it now that it's done, I feel good. :)


The English riding gear painting is one I did earlier in 2012, and it was fun to get the Western riding gear one done and put them next to one another just for kicks. :)

This painting also makes me feel so good every time I look at it.  I first had the idea for it in June 2011, sketched out a rough idea in Jan. 2012, started painting it in March 2012.  It sat in the living room waiting while new ideas came & were completed.  I picked it up for a bit in November and finally (!) finished it on Dec. 28.  I am happy with it.

Our Christmas break has been most enjoyable--busy, full, somewhat insane at times, but good--and I really wish we could take more time off.  But since we want to have our school work done before our Michigan vacation in June, back to the books we must go.  We are slowly easing back into school today, and I hope to complete 1-2 paintings this short work week.  We shall see...

No comments: