12.28.2011

christmas eve.

This is our fifth Christmas out here in Arizona already.  One of the things I really like since we've been out here is that Christmas Eve has become more of the celebration, not just the day *before* the Big Day, as it seemed in previous years.

We have a few family traditions that happen on Christmas Eve...

Christmas Eve service.  Usually at my brother-in-law & sister-in-law's church...




Luminarias.  This is something we did with Matt's mom when we visited her for Christmas.  So when we moved out here, it was something we definitely wanted to do.    I love how the luminarias look, and it's kind of a memorial to her, too, since she died on Christmas Eve sixteen years ago.  This was our fifth time doing luminarias... I think long enough to call it a well-established tradition. :)



Camp out by the Christmas tree.  The kids started this probably about 2005.  This year I noticed a huge difference in that David & Marissa stayed up later than the younger three kids.  I'm afraid they may be "outgrowing" this tradition, which I guess is to be expected.  This year, I had Marissa's help with being "elf", placing gifts under the tree once the kids fell asleep.

I like to imagine our grandkids in sleeping bags by the Christmas tree in future years.  :)



In addition to our Christmas Eve traditions...

This year, we also got together with Matt's brother & his wife at their house for a delicious brunch.  







We had a great time visiting, opening gifts, and just enjoying the festivities together and then headed to their church's Christmas Eve service.  After church, we headed back home and lit our luminarias.

No comments: