Ten years ago this morning, our son Joshua was born! It's so amazing that he's a whole decade old now... I still remember turning ten myself. I remember my dad saying it was the last year I could count my age using my fingers, and the next year I'd have to start using my toes.
Wow. It's so surreal being a parent, seeing our kids reaching milestones I remember so well, feeling almost as if it was yesterday. Well... not exactly...but it certainly doesn't seem possible that I'm any older than I was ten years ago. But apparently I am!! :)
Joshua is at the cusp of being a "big kid"... although I have to admit that for David, even five seemed big kid-ish to me. Alas, the "joys" of being the oldest... or the "joys" of being a middle child... I can't decide which is worse! :) But we just sort of bumble our way through parenthood the best we can (trusting in God, of course!) and pray that our kids will be godly and reasonably well-adjusted adults when they go out into the world. :)
![]() |
| Me with Joshua at home... he was about 7 or 8 days old here. |
![]() |
| One of my very favorite photos of Joshua & Matt together. *Love* the contrast in the size of their hands and the idea of gentle strength and fatherly love. :) |
![]() |
| This one was in a picture frame in our family room for quite some time. I love it! David & Marissa used to vie for their turn to hold Joshua... it was a favorite pastime for both of them. :) |
![]() |
| And a pic of the whole fam at the time. Seems so long ago yet so recent, all at the same time! :) |
As I started to say before I began rambling about parenting, Joshua is on the cusp of being a big kid. He's been helping make meals lately and loves to come around the kitchen while I'm either cooking or working on a painting, just to talk. I love these years when the kids share with me what's on their minds! The time flies so quickly, and I am thankful for the time we have together. It will all change so quickly.








3 comments:
I meant to post to say Happy Birthday to Joshua, but somehow it slipped away. (My brain seems to have the retention space of a walnut recently!) So I'll wish him a Happy Birthday late!!
I forgot to say that as we were growing up, it never seemed strange when you would do something "milestone-ish" such as get your driving license or a job, or get married, but when Rachel did the same things, it seemed like it had to be too early!
Ha ha, the retention space of a walnut! I'll have to remember that one!! :)
That's funny hearing about the milestones we went through from your perspective. I always kind of figured I had that feeling just because I'm the oldest in our family, but I guess not!!
Post a Comment