4.01.2010

Grilled Pizza


Last night, I tried grilling pizza for the first time. I had read about it on The Happy Housewife's blog, and it popped into my mind this week because the heating element in our oven is broken.

I looked online for tips on grilling pizza, made my favorite pizza dough recipe, and fired up the grill. It was a success, and I think Matt likes it better than regular oven-baked pizza!

The only thing I didn't like so much was that because I had to grill it on the top rack, the pizzas had to be smaller and I had to do the whole meal in two batches. But overall, it really didn't take too long to do.

Thought I'd post my recipe and the process, in case anybody wants to try it out...

Step 1:

Make the dough. Here's my favorite pizza crust recipe (I usually make a double batch):

Pizza Crust
2 c. flour
1 t. salt
1 t. sugar
2 T. oil
1 T. yeast
2/3 - 1 c. warm water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix above ingredients, knead for about 5 minutes, adding a bit more flour if too sticky. Cover with plastic wrap, let rise approximately 10 minutes. (If baking in the oven: Pre-bake before adding sauce & toppings 5-10 min. Top with desired toppings, then bake another 10-15 minutes.)


Step 2:
Break dough into pieces and roll out to about 1/2 inch thick, about 9-10 inches in diameter (to fit the top rack of the grill). A double batch made 7 for our family, one per person, but we had 1 1/2 pizzas left. :)

Step 3:
Brush grill rack with olive oil




Step 4:
Put rolled out dough onto top rack of grill. Close lid, but check often. Let the first side cook a couple of minutes, then flip over and let the other side begin to cook. Close lid, but again... check frequently.


Step 5: Add sauce, cheese & desired toppings.



Step 6: Watch closely, being careful that your bottom crust doesn't burn. Cook with lid closed until cheese melts.

Step 7: Repeat process until all your little pizzas are cooked.





Step 8: Enjoy! :)

3 comments:

Ed & Dottie said...

Looks yummy. Won't work for us as we don't have a top shelf like you do.

Amy :) said...

Wow, that was a fast comment! :) I acutally did cook one of our pizzas on the bottom rack, but just watched it super close to be sure it wasn't getting burnt. So it *might* work allright for you...

Becky Dempsey said...

We might have to try this sometime! We do have a smaller top rack like your grill. I think I would take the crusts off the grill to put the toppings on, though!