2.17.2010

Zoe Girl Update

Well, she's been here nearly two weeks now and I thought I'd post an update on Zoe Girl. (That's her nickname, by the way, after a Christian music group of the same name...)

Zoe is a *super* smart and very trainable puppy, and I am *so* thankful! Here's the update...

Things she's learned...

  • her name (she usually comes when we call her)
  • to go potty outside (it's been a week since her last accident!)
  • to "sit"
  • to lay down and stay while we're eating dinner or working on school
  • to sit and wait for her food, instead of rushing at it the instant we set it down in front of her
  • to sit and wait while I go in the patio door

Things still to learn...

  • not to bark at Jack when he doesn't want to play with her
  • not to climb onto the table if we zip upstairs while she's downstairs (she's done this twice, but I have a plan to work on it....muahahaha!!)
  • not to run upstairs into the laundry room and steal cat food... for now, we keep a gate at the base of the stairs to prevent this
  • to heel instead of lunging at the end of the leash (will be buying a training collar to help with this...)
  • etc. (she is a puppy, after all...)
Some really, really good things...
  • it's beautiful weather out so she can hang out in our walled-in backyard
  • she is *very* trainable
  • every time she learns something, it encourages me that she can and will be a very well-trained dog
  • we borrowed a book from the library that we used when Jack was a puppy, Dog Talk. It is very good, helping us to see things from a canine point of view when training dogs. :)

So, that's the update! Things are going very, very well with Zoe, despite the fact that I *very* much wanted to give her back after her first night here! :)

4 comments:

Ed & Dottie said...

Glad it is going well with Zoe. Love Ya, Mom

Wife, Mom, Teacher said...

Hi. Somehow I missed your post about getting Zoe a couple weeks ago, but I had read the other posts around it... My kids were so excited to hear you had gotten a puppy. I am so glad it's working out so well!

Becky Dempsey said...

It sounds like she's pretty smart to have learned so much already! Have fun!

Mieal Deneb said...

Zoe is cute. I'm glad that she is a fast learner, for your sake!

Rachel