8.20.2009

Bridges

From my post last week, you may have guessed that the transition into school this year has been a bit rough. There were a few moments last week that I was thinking about putting a couple of the kids into public school. This week (while certainly not perfect), thankfully is feeling better. We are settling back into the "groove" more. :)

David, Marissa and I have been reading the One Year Bible for a few years, and now that Joshua is reading well, he is starting up, too. This school year, I decided for our Bible time together that we'll do our reading together. So all six of us sit in the living room, and the four readers take turns, each reading from his or her own Bible.

Yesterday, we read I Corinthians 12, which talks about spiritual gifts and the body of Christ, using the analogy of the human body. Later on, when Marissa and I read one of the books in her Ambleside Online line-up this year, I saw a very cool connection!

The book is Fearfully and Wonderfully Made, by Dr. Paul Brand and Phillip Yancey. In the first chapter, Dr. Brand talked about cells and how they can function on their own or work as part of the body. Then, he did a rendering of I Corinthians 12 from the cellular level. It was SO cool to see the "bridge" between that book and our Bible reading for the day.

It was such a great moment when that happened... I almost got choked up! It's hard to explain, but that "bridge" moment kind of reminded me of how much I love doing school with our kids. :)

No comments: