7.31.2009

How *do* they do it??

This isn't the first time I've wondered this, but last night I was reminded of it. Last night, we had EIGHTEEN 4 & 5 year olds in our class at VBS!!! All adorable kids, but it was a busy, active, exhausting time... hard to corral them, to get them to pay attention, leaving us wondering if they learned anything at all from us.

It makes me wonder how school teachers do it with a whole classroom full of kids. People have asked me, "How do you *do* it?" in reference to homeschooling. But *I* marvel at how school teachers can have so many kids for the whole day and teach them anything.

Wow!

3 comments:

Judy said...

The past 2 school years we participated in co-op. I was the helper to 11 first/second graders and then I taught 9 highschoolers science (biology and chemistry). I would NOT want to teach for a living. It amazes me that a teacher can do it with 25-30 kids--and actually get things done.

I will take my (home) classroom of 4 (plus my toddler and baby due next month).

Becky Dempsey said...

As someone who taught in a conventional classroom for 8½ years, I have to say, I loved it! Of course there were years when I had some kids that were handfuls, but on the whole it was fun. It helps to have them from "day 1" and "lay down the law" so they know what to expect and what happens if they don't comply! I guess it is all in your perspective--there are some things that I wouldn't want to do for a living either, but other people enjoy doing! (Like teaching upper elementary, middle school, or high school!!)

Amy :) said...

Becky,

I was thinking maybe having the kids from day one might help. With our VBS, they had different teachers each night, so they didn't get to know any of us very well.

I was talking with another VBS teacher last night who also homeschools, and she said teaching bigger groups of kids just isn't her thing.

I think it's cool that we're all "wired" differently, so that there are people like you who love teaching the little ones in bigger groups. And then there are those of us who can't imagine doing it, but are able to teach our own kids at home... and love that. :)

Amy :)