It's one of those really earth-shattering bits of information, too. (Not really!)I must admit I'm partial to Hellman's mayonnaise. I usually buy the cheap brand at Wal-Mart, but sometimes you just *have* to have the best. Well, earlier this week I cooked up a turkey we'd bought at Thanksgiving time when the prices were good and kept in the freezer all this time. Yesterday, I just had to have Hellman's for the turkey sandwiches the kids & I were going to enjoy for our lunch.
I haven't been able to find Hellman's for the longest time, so I thought I'd give it another try. At our local Wal-Mart, I kept seeing this brand called, "Best" and thought it was some knock-off trying to say they were the best. "Best," I thought. "Yeah, right."
So yesterday, after realizing they indeed did not have Hellman's mayonnaise, I discovered that this "Best" mayo had "Bring out the best" on their label. Hmmm... that sounds like what Hellman's always says. I reached out and grabbed a jar of "Best", thinking that maybe they'd changed their name or something.
The side of the jar said, "Known as Hellman's east of the Rockies".
And this is the thing I learned yesterday. Hellman's is called "Best" out here, and I guess it's been nearly two years since I broke down & decided I *had* to have the "best" mayonnaise. Because that's how long we've lived *west* of the Rockies and not had Hellman's available to us.
I paid the hefty pricetag for the "Best" mayonnaise. And those turkey sandwiches were so tasty. It really *is* the best mayonnaise. I guess the name fits. But I still think of it as Hellman's. :)




4 comments:
I tried to leave a comment last night but it wouldn't let me, so I will try again. I think it is interesting to know that there are different names for the same thing. Also you have made me hungry for a turkey sandwich. Love Ya, Mom
LOL that's funny that it has a different name depending on where in the country you are! Still, I prefer Miracle Whip! ;)
Rachel
lol! too funny.
Its good that you noticed the slogan or you might not have decided to take a closer look! (When I saw that in the picture, I thought, Isn't that Hellman's slogan?!) I agree with Rachel, Miracle Whip is best! I've never liked mayonaise.
Post a Comment