Last week marked one year since we moved into our new house! When we first saw it, we knew the kitchen cabinets needed to be refinished. The previous owners had stained them dark brown, which didn't "take" right and looked streaky.
So we took all the doors off and started the very time-consuming process of sanding the cabinets & doors. I am *so* pleased to say that I've finished sanding most of the doors, and we've finished the cabinets & re-hung the bottom doors. (We decided that we like how it looks without doors on the top row.)
A funny story about putting the doors back on... when it came time to reassemble everything, we had the hinges and the screws to attach them to the doors. But we couldn't remember where we'd put the screws to attach the hinges to the cabinets! :( I ended up going to Home Depot to get new ones. It was a well-spent $4.00, and I suppose we may end up finding the original screws in the future. But I don't mind, because the doors look so great! :)
There are still a few things to do, but the job is mostly done now. Oh, and all the appliances came from good ol' Craig's List. :)
So, here's the before & after for you to see~
So we took all the doors off and started the very time-consuming process of sanding the cabinets & doors. I am *so* pleased to say that I've finished sanding most of the doors, and we've finished the cabinets & re-hung the bottom doors. (We decided that we like how it looks without doors on the top row.)
A funny story about putting the doors back on... when it came time to reassemble everything, we had the hinges and the screws to attach them to the doors. But we couldn't remember where we'd put the screws to attach the hinges to the cabinets! :( I ended up going to Home Depot to get new ones. It was a well-spent $4.00, and I suppose we may end up finding the original screws in the future. But I don't mind, because the doors look so great! :)
There are still a few things to do, but the job is mostly done now. Oh, and all the appliances came from good ol' Craig's List. :)
So, here's the before & after for you to see~
After...
Before...
What do you think? I like it a lot! :)





4 comments:
Yeah! It looks nice. Good job.
What a beautiful job you did. I love how it looks with the top cabinets open. You should be proud of the job you did : )
I like the looks of the cupboards. The open upper ones are neat. I couldn't do that here as I have way too much it would look messy. You did a good job. Too bad you didn't decided not to use the upper cupboard doors before you sanded them all. See you soon. Love Ya, :)Mom
Thanks for the comments, everyone! :)
You know, Mom, everyone says the same thing about not being able to do that because they have too much stuff in their cupboards to have them open like ours are.
Our cupboards in Marquette were like that, then when we got ready to move, we weeded out a lot. And, there's something about knowing that everything shows that forces me to constantly re-evaluate whether something needs to be there or not.
And, the beautiful thing is that we *did* think of keeping the top cupboards open before I sanded all the doors! :)
Amy :)
Post a Comment