7.21.2008

Kitchen progress

As you may remember, months ago I posted quite a bit about the progress on the house. With moving in, getting settled, homeschool, work, vacation, and life in general, we have slowed down *considerably* on the work.

When we were in Michigan, my sister-in-law, Lisa, said she wanted to see kitchen photos. Well, here they are! It's not "before" and "after" photos, so much as "before" and "now" photos. But there *is* still an improvement, so I thought I'd post them here so you can see how things look in our kitchen. So far. :)

"Before"
The glass on the front of the range was shot out with a bb gun and there was stain poured on the cooking surface. We had some black & some white appliances, and decided to go with white to make everything match. So we were going to throw out the old abused stove, but our pastor thought the church could use it. Matt & he cleaned up the top, and then our pastor got a new glass front for it. I just saw the stove the other day, and it's like a new one. :)

The previous owners decided to stain the cabinets dark brown, but it didn't "take" very well and was quite streaky. (I'm not sure why they did that to 3 1/2 year old cabinets??) We took all the cabinet doors off & sanded the cabinets before we moved in (a really dusty project!!). I have the doors mostly sanded, but have to wait until about September when it's a bit cooler out to finish this job, since I don't want to create that much dust inside the house with us living in it. Then we'll finish the cabinets and the project will be done.

"Now"
What do you think of the kitchen, so far? Here are my Craig's List microwave & range. I have always preferred gas stoves. But since this house doesn't even have gas, we had to do electric. I thought if we had to do electric, that I wanted a flat-top stove. Do you know, I don't even miss the gas stove, with my "new" flat-top range! It is *SO* much easier to clean!! :)



Well, and here are a couple shots of the kitchen overall. There's our Craig's List refrigerator with the built-in ice & water, which we *love*! You can also see it's brighter in the kitchen already with the dark stain gone. I can't wait to get the cabinet doors on! Marissa and I have been scheming out what color/s to paint the kitchen walls. But you'll just have to wait until we get that done, because I'm not divulging any "secrets" here today. :)

2 comments:

Ed & Dottie said...

I am glad you posted pictures of your kitchen, makes it easier to think of you there in your kitchen making meals & etc. It looks like a nice sized one & with an open plan. The cupboard ligther makes the whole affect nicer. Eager to see it in person some day. Mom

Roberta said...

Hi Amy,
Catching up with you...looks like you had a great trip and were blessed to see lots of friends and family. (and I am sure you blessed them too!)

Your kitchen looks great! Can't wait to see the afters...wall color too.