3.15.2008

Scones

As much as I like breakfast foods, I have never made scones. I have eaten them once or twice in a bakery, but never had I made them myself. Yesterday morning, Marissa wanted to make breakfast and chose scones, a pleasant surprise. :)


I was impressed! They taste every bit as good as a bakery's scones!! :) Marissa chopped up the last bit of a Hershey's bar that she had saved, and that made a nice touch to the flavor/texture.


Here is the final product and the humble cook. :)


Batch number two just got put into the oven a moment ago, and we'll be eating them on the way to our next hike for our hiking club. This time, we're hoping to do the hike with our fellow hiking club members. We shall see...

Just in case you wondered, here's the recipe for these delicious scones, courtesy of my Better Homes & Gardens "New Cookbook" which I received for a bridal shower gift in 1990 (it's the *best* basic, all around cookbook I own!):

Oatmeal-Raisin Scones
1 c. flour
3 T. brown sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/3 c. margarine or butter
1 c. oatmeal
1/2 c. raisins, coarsely chopped, currants, or miniature semisweet chocolate pieces
1 beaten egg
1/4 c. milk
Milk

In a bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon. Cut in margarine till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in oats & raisins, currants or chocolate pieces. Combine egg & 1/4 c. milk; add to flour mixture. Stir just till moistened (will be sticky). On a lightly floured surface, pat dough into a 7-inch circle. Cut into 12 wedges; place ona baking sheet. Brush with milk. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or till light brown. Serve warm. Makes 12.

3 comments:

Ed & Dottie said...

Neat that Marissa is starting to be a good cook. Love to you all, Mom

Roberta said...

Yum! Way to go Marisa...I like how she used her chocolate bar, what a creative thinker.
That is the same tried and true cookbook in my collection.

Phyzzle said...

Oooooh, Marissa, those look so YUMMY. I don't suppose you'd send some to your ol' Aunt Pepper here in Grand Rapids, wouldja? Didn't think so. But you have inspired me to try making them myself!