12.17.2007

Wow... You have to read this article about our friend Morgan!

Our friend Morgan has been fighting cancer for 20 months. (That's her with Curt on their wedding day in January this year.) Morgan just sent a link to an article in her hometown newspaper, and here is the link so you can read it, too.

She's about to go in for her second stem cell transplant. The first one, using her own stem cells, didn't work. This one is from umbilical cord cells and has a much higher chance of not only not working, but causing some *very* serious problems.

Here's a quote from Morgan (from the article) that hit me hard:

Well usually, if you're not a special case like me, Hodgkin's lymphoma is very, very curable. It's "the easy cancer" or "the good cancer to get," which is a phrase that just drives me crazy now, because 95 percent of stage one - which is the least involved stage - 95 percent are completely cured with the first round of treatment. ...I'd be a relapsed case. My cancer hasn't gone into full remission. And so with the next transplant I have about a ... 33 percent chance of death, a 33 percent chance of very serious, like, complications and lung problems, and basically all kinds of problems, and a 33 percent chance of comin' out of it clear and cured, so it's a gamble, but - I believe in God and I know God doesn't need good odds. He doesn't need a good chance, so I'm very hopeful that this transplant will work.

Please pray for Morgan. She was supposed to go in this week for her transplant, and now she's on her way to the ER because during her lung testing, she started coughing up colorful stuff and having a hard time breathing. So she's not sure what's up now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy! Curt and Morgan here. I got freed from the ER that night on some antibiotics. (Curt interjects "I miss You guys!") I have less "colorful" (bleck!) grossness, but it's still a little hard to breath with so much regular stuff. Hopefully it will go away more tomorrow. Thank you for posting on the blog, the more prayers, the better!! HEheh. I happened to check the blog just to see what you guys were up to and Poof! there I was! LOl, that's great. I love that picture. We're still hoping that I can go in this Friday. Thanks for your prayers. Hugs to everybody!
Morgan