9.18.2007

My "new" bargains

Well, our 3 1/2 month lease is almost up, and after looking a LOT for other places to rent, we were recently approved to rent a bigger place with a really nice, big, grassy backyard for $25/month more than our current rent. We prayed about what would be the wisest thing to do and thought we'd ask our landlord if we could pay $50-75 less per month if we signed a longer lease. He gave the approval for $50/month less!! So it looks like we will probably stay right where we are. :)

I purposely left a lot of things in boxes when we moved into this house, since the thought of repacking china & crystal that we wouldn't need until the holidays sounded kind of redundant. And I didn't hang anything on the walls unless there were already nails there.

I have put two nails in the walls in the past few days, and I have some fun bargains hanging on those nails. I know, it might not be too exciting for most of you, but I know there are some of you "out there" who appreciate hearing about good bargains. So, here goes...


My FreeCycle finds:

When we lived in Marquette, I heard about FreeCycle. You sign up online for the group in your local area, and it's all about saving stuff from going into the landfills. You know... "one man's junk is another man's treasure", right?

Anyway, I've gotten signed up here and found new homes for a few things. It's hard in a bigger town getting stuff, though... usually by the time I get the email saying something is offered, someone else has already claimed it. :(

But, I have gotten a few items from my FreeCycle ventures! Here's what the lady who gave it to me called a Christmas card wreath. I think you're supposed to tuck your Christmas cards into the curliques on the wreath. But I didn't want to wait until December to use it, so today I hung it in the kitchen. What do you think?

Oh, I also wanted to point out the texture of the walls here. Everyone's walls are like that here... I think the drywall is textured. It's a Southwestern thing, I think, unless anybody in the North can tell me it's a new trend everywhere. Maybe it is... it's kinda cool, I think. :)

The other shot of the dining room/kitchen area also shows the basket for our recyclables waiting to go out to the big recycling bin. I bought that basket for $1 at a half-off day at a thrift store in Marquette that we lovingly call "St. Vinnie's". (I miss that store!!) I wasn't sure what the basket's new use would be here until last night. I think it looks pretty nice there. :)

Okay, another FreeCycle find from earlier this summer. Check out our 1986 Magnavox TV! When I first saw it, I was instantly taken back to when I was in junior high/high school and we had a very similar TV. :)

And tomorrow, I will pick up a carseat I found on FreeCycle to go in the Grand Caravan. Now we won't have to switch carseats when we ride in that van! :)



My Craig's List find:


Okay, so I've talked about Craig's List here before... finding new homes for Jasper's kittens, and getting some guests for the Beach House. Last week, I found a garage sale on there, and here's one of our finds from that day. Guess how much I paid for this beautiful fish on the wall that goes so well with the kids' "fishy" bathroom? Fifty cents!!!



Okay, so now you've heard about my latest bargains. I'll leave you alone now!! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i loved hearing about your great deals. I will have to check into that stuff too to see if we can get some deals but we really should use it for getting rid of stuff not getting things. I like the wreath thing & think it would be good year round for putting those odds & ends of papers, pictures & reminders of things you don't know where to put. We could use one but are running out of wall space here. Love to you all, Mom

The Gruenwald Family said...

Amy, Thanks for replying to my blog. It's funny because I was having a "frazzled" moment today and thought, "I wish Amy were here! Her presence relaxed me." So, I was being really selfish. I just read some of your blog. You are so good about posting news and pictures. Praise God about Jesse becoming a Christian! The kids had such a good time looking at your pictures. Please continue to keep us posted. Love, Rach

Roberta said...

Great idea using your card holder now with pictures of treasured people.

Yes, I was looking at the brocade texture on your walls. They are nice, the color too. Did you paint it or was it there?

We have given away a toddler bed on Freecycle, and have aquired a few this and that's from Craigslist...50's grey and silver chrome table, eliptical, vintage couch and chair, various homeschool books and curriculum. Love those bargains!
Today we went to 2 thrift stores and was jazzed to find Upwords (we had it in my home growing up, it'll be great for spelling), new looking Rod and Staff reader and Math book, boots for Noah and my favorite vintage little refridgerator dishes with aqua decor on them.
I think I like bargains a little too much! ;)
And praise God you ran out of gas so close to home. We had a VW camper bus...so I totally understand when you say "quirky".
Have a blessed day. :)

Marquette Beach House said...

Thanks so much for your comments, everyone! I *love* it when you comment here. :)

Our kitchen was already painted red when we moved in. I love it!! We also have some golden brown partial walls and a golden (not metallic-golden) wall in the living room, and our master bedroom has one wall that is taupe.

I'm so thankful for the colorful walls, since we had just started getting "colorful" in our home in Marquette and I think I would miss vibrant colors. I've also enjoyed decorating our kitchen/dining/living room with red accents to play up the red walls in the kitchen. (It was cheap, too, and I was able to use some things we already had!) :)

I loved hearing about your bargains, Roberta. I have *got* to find a good thrift store here!!

Thanks again, Mom, Rachel & Roberta, for your comments! It was fun to get them. :)

Amy :)